With the new year fast approaching, now is a great time to act on your desire to restore your smile to its former glory. If you are considering dental implant treatment, be sure to ask your dentist if he or she is able to perform full implant treatment in-house. Why? Keep reading to learn everything you need to know about dental implants and why you should partner with an implant dentist.
What are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is a very small titanium post that is placed into the jawbone to support an artificial tooth or a specialized bridge or denture. Dental implants provide maximum support thanks to a natural process known as “osseointegration”, in which the implant fuses with the surrounding jawbone. By replacing both the visible portion of the tooth and the tooth root structure, dental implants are considered by many to be the premier dental restoration treatment.
What to Expect During Implant Treatment
Dental implant treatment is typically completed over the course of several months and requires several trips to a dentist, including:
- Initial Consultation – First, you will meet with your dentist to discuss your smile goals, review your medical and dental history, and create impressions of your teeth for the implant models.
- Implant Placement – This surgical step can be completed either by an experienced implant dentist or oral surgery specialist.
- Osseointegration – Over the next several months, the implant site will heal as the implant fuses with the surrounding jawbone.
- Healing Collar Placement and Temporary Crown – You will return to the dentist to have a healing cap placed on top of the implant, which will help guide the gum tissue to heal correctly.
- Abutment Placement – Once the tissue is healed, your dentist will remove the healing cap and attach an abutment, which will connect an artificial tooth to the implant.
- Permanent Crown Placement – Your dentist will securely attach your new custom crown on top of the dental implant, restoring the appearance and function of your smile!
The Benefits of Seeing an Implant Dentist
If you are considering filling in the gaps from missing teeth with dental implants, it makes sense to choose an experienced dentist who can complete every step of the implant treatment under a single roof.
Many dentists do not have the skills or expertise to actually place dental implants. Instead, they must send their patients to dental surgeons for the oral surgery part of the implant process.
Partnering with an implant dentist that can perform the entire restoration process from A to Z will save you considerable time, hassle and even money!
New year, new smile – let 2020 be the year in which you achieve the beautiful, full smile you deserve. Talk to an implant dentist in West Monroe today to get started.
About the Author
With nearly four decades of experience, Dr. L. King Scott provides unparalleled quality dental care to the community of West Monroe. Having achieved the level of Master in The Academy of General Dentistry, he offers a full range of dental treatment at his conveniently-located private practice, including in-house implant placement and restoration. Patients considering replacing their missing teeth with dental implants can learn more by visiting Dr. Scott’s website or calling 318-325-4600.